Chemical Hygiene Plan Information
ESSR routinely inspects fume hoods
UMD Chemical Information
- Table of Incompatible Chemicals
- Peroxide-Forming Chemicals
- Container venting caps should reduce the number of waste container over-pressurization incidents.
- The Chemical Reactivity Worksheet is a free program you can use to determine the reactivity of substances or mixtures of substances. The Worksheet incorporates a database of more than 4,000 common hazardous chemicals. The Worksheet provides a way for you to "mix" chemicals to determine dangers that may arise. Versions are available for both Macintosh and Microsoft Windows computers.
- Particularly hazardous substances are acutely toxic chemicals, carcinogens, and reproductive toxins. Laboratories using these substances are required to have a designated storage location and written procedures specifically for these materials regarding safe use, waste handling, and spill/accident response. Here is a worksheet (courtesy of Duke University’s Occupational and Environmental Safety Office) that contains an extensive, though not comprehensive, list of these substances. This worksheet also includes common reactive chemicals which include: explosives, flammable solids, peroxide formers, oxidizers, and compounds that are reactive with air or water.
Laboratory Warning Signs
All employees should be provided with information and training regarding the hazards of the lasers in their work area.